During this workshop we discussed how we could present the next three pieces in one whole piece, in order to ensure that the representation of these three celestial bodies has a clear connection.
- Tadas suggested presenting the next three character studies as one whole study. This would help him to visually connect all three objects. The idea would be to repeat the same structure for the shots related to each character e.g. for the Mother Star the figure on the rocky background, for Pantele footage of a persen wrapped in a white blanket on a boat in a lake and for Xoe footage of someone in another cloak/blanket with the background of an autumnal foreset with falling leaves (connected to age and things ending).
- Dani had some reservations initially on whether we should stop doing three individual studies and do this combined study for the whole system.
- We then had some confusion over whether or not it should be one flowing directly into the next, or whether we should mix the presentation of the characters. Dani was worried that going to and from characters quickly would make the piece seem chunky. Tadas replied that if this is so then maybe it would be useful for us to actually adress this chunkiness now. Dani also pointed out that having more material for each character (from solo studies) will be better for the future.
- Another main problem was also that there is less and less time. Tadas was setting the deadline to have the opera finished by March.
- Tadas then also posed to Dani the question of whether he is considering the anthropomorphising of the characters in his writing of the music. Dani responded saying that he is in a difficult position as he has to remain faithful to the data for his research, but also needs to find a new complex vision of the work. Dani also posed the question of why not just start working directly on the opera?
- Tadas and I responded saying that the study and cycle is still an important part of us as a team getting to know the process. Dani then changed his mind and thought that if this is a study and not a perfected final piece then actually this would be a good way to proceed from here.
- Another thing Tadas was thinking is that with the Measurer we never see the Measurer themselves, only their point of view, but with the system we see the characters and the objects as it is the dream of the Measurer seeing these things.
- Tadas said his next steps were to shoot the footage of the water and the rocks.
- Dani was thinking in reference to mine and his previous conversation, that this piece could be representative of the genesis of the star, with the other characters interacting on top of this frantic genesis. So we would meet the other characters as they are being created in the system. He suggested that he starts by sending me some material to sing which is randomly generated fast rhythmical singing.
- Tadas then questioned whether the Measurer study which we have already completed would come before or after this section. He wanted to understand how this segment will fit within other sections.
- I responded by saying that it would be possible for me to go away and play with the text, cut it up and put the characters all closer together.
- Dani suggested we think of this a bit like “The Death of Klinghoffer” where there is the chorus of the Palestinians and of the Jews, which then sets us up for the rest of the story to come.
- Tadas suggested that we swap the pieces around so the System comes before the Measurer. This made me feel that this would work better as the System would be calling to the Measurer, and it would make the System the focus of the opera from the start. It also connects the piece better to the geographical location, referencing a shamanic vision that might be experienced by indigenous cultures.
- Dani suggested we could even put the voice of the Measurer on top of the the music introducing the system. Tadas replied by saying that you have to be careful with film as jumping from character to character looks severe in a way it doesn’t do when it is integrated into text or music.
- I then mentioned the Dora Maar photos again, and how having images collaged removes the sensation of groundedness that the Measurer has – Dani responded that this effect can also be achieved through layering of the music.
- The discussion then moved into a general discussion about how this work is trying to promote the subjectivity of science, and relate it closer to human experience.
Post workshop developments
Before the next workshop Dani sent me some music to record and I recored multiple vocal lines. This section would potentially be the opening of this next study.